Doris Chen: The Bigger Picture

For my project, I decided to focus on Beth Gardiner’s article “Coronavirus Holds Key Lessons on How to Fight Climate Change”. My project consists of a drawing of different people gathered at a conference and while most of them are focusing on the coronavirus pandemic that is seen on the right TV screen, there is only one man who is focused on the two other screens that show climate change. While seated, the people have different papers in front of them that reflect how they want to treat the coronavirus pandemic and use it as a way to make a profit but we see none that has to do with climate change, showing that they do not care about it. On the two other screens, on which the man is pointing at shows how the effects of the industry have destroyed nature due to pollution and the burning of fossil fuels. The Earth is cracking and the trees are wilted. On the other screen behind the man, the news statement states that icebergs are melting and the polar bears are dying as a result. The quotes I included are three direct quotes from Gardiner’s article and the other is an implication. The first quote I chose, states “if you wait until you see the impact, it is too late to stop”. The words impact, too late and stop are bolded because they are the most important and emphasizes the importance of realizing a problem as it comes instead of waiting around to see how long it can last before it becomes deadly. The second quote states “We are missing the obvious”. This quote is a bit of an antithesis to the entire picture because as seen, the people sitting at the table are all focusing on the pandemic which most would argue to be obvious or the more deadly one but in fact, climate change is more obvious, so obvious that people see it every day but now consider it to be normal. The third quote states “Tell the story, help people understand that this is an accelerated version of another story”. This quote brings light to the fact that climate change is just as serious as any pandemic and people should give it the same alertness that they gave to the pandemic. It also shows that the pandemic is a wake-up call for people as climate change can create an even larger impact sooner or later. Finally, the speech bubble on the right shows a man saying “That can’t be real. It can’t be THAT deadly”. I added this quote in order to imply this quote as it fits better into the situation in the image. The corresponding quote from the article states “In the case of COVID-19, while some have sought to deny the seriousness of the coronavirus, people and governments have mostly been far quicker to appreciate its danger. That may in part be because we are instinctually more frightened of disease than of climate threats that many people struggle to envision”. While the man in the picture says what he did, in his hands, he holds a phone where he texts “I’m scared”. This is used to show that people often reject the existence of certain issues out of fear. Once they acknowledge the importance of a situation, it becomes real.