Homework and Blog Post Assignment

Homework

For every class with assigned reading, I will give out a writing prompt in advance as homework. You will be expected to do the reading and spend 20 minutes or so responding in writing to the prompt. The homework assignments are low-stakes, meaning you do not have to have a worked out argument or thesis claim. The practice of informal writing is meant to help you reflect on and retain what you have read so that you will be prepared for class discussion and formal writing assignments on the reading. Most days, you will have an opportunity at the beginning of class to review and add to the writing that you’ve done at home. I will collect the homework assignments sometimes but not always. When I do collect them, I will grade them on a check, check plus, check minus scale. Work that demonstrates depth of understanding will receive a check plus, work that shows engagement a check and work that suggests that you did not do the reading will get a check minus. If you miss class when I am collecting homework, you can receive credit if you email your homework to me before class.

Blog Posts

Twice over the course of the semester, on days which you will sign up for in advance, you will post your homework assignment on our course blog by midnight the night before class. On these days, you will want to do your very best, check plus work. Think of your blog post as a way to help other students better understand the reading. I will do my best to respond to the blog posts and may refer to them as a reference in class discussion.